Thursday, March 18, 2010

Nashville Diaries #4

Woke up...early...to go to Pancake Pantry.
Arrived at 7:15ish. Was immediately seated and waited on. Upon first impression, I noticed students, an Army unit, various professors, etc. just chatting at their respective tables. Honestly, I wondered why they were meeting and what could possibly bring them out of their beds at such an early hour. Alas, I am a college student and even though I do have to wake up quite early on Tuesdays and Thursdays on a normal schedule, I have taken sunrises and early morning breakfasts for granted this spring break week. I started soaking "it" all in: the joy of seeing people interact, the chill atmosphere that allowed them such experiences as they ate their pancakes and talked in a rather cyclical fashion...Loved the Pancake Pantry

Then, traveled down Broadway to visit J&J's Market and Cafe. Sam, the owner, was a delight and we immediately entered into a conversation about James Avery rings and Dallas, TX. Greatly enjoyed my mocha with irish cream. Took a couple shots of the layout of the coffeeshop and was pleased with the space usage and the overall randomness of the look of the place. Sam and I won't forget each other. At least, that's what we told each other. haha

We, then, went on one of "Tommy's Tours." Yes, I surrendered to the tourist magnet and folded. I was blessed, though! Didn't have to waste gas. Just got on a bus with my sistas and traveled around the city with other people who wanted to know some of the "inside scoop" of the Music City. We toured movie stars' homes, the historic venues, the popular attractions, etc. I admit, we had already meandered down the downtown parts on our own but hearing a local lead us down the streets he "played on as a child" and hearing about the "alley that Carrie Underwood used for her 'Before He Cheats' video" was quite fascinating...it was simply fun:)

Went to the hotel for a couple hours, then traveled to the Bluebird Cafe. Oh, seriously. It was wonderful. We were in the standing room only group but who cares?!! We got to hear 4 amazing up-and-coming female artists who each had a flare and a flavor in their respective avenues of country music. We bought Bluebird paraphernalia and traveled on down to the McDonald's. But before we decided to head to the hotel, I got to stop off at Cafe Coco's for a quick peak at the haps and the look. Oh, goodness...I LOVED IT! The facility itself was just an old house, filled with tables/couches/ bar stools/and an overall bohemian feel. The patrons all ranged from college students, grunge folk, band members, and homeless...freakin almost made me cry. Not gonna lie. We just don't have that where I'm from, ya know? We have an amazing coffeehouse culture in CS but I'm overwhelmed by the ability of being able to establish a coffeehouse that attracts ALL kinds of people and not just the coffee drinkers or college students. Versatility. Diversity. Community...:)

Today was one of those days where we didn't try to cram stuff in just to say "we went there..." We wanted to spent time in places that allowed us to reflect, explore, and continue the adventure that's come about this week. It's been full of heart giggles, long moments of laughter, getting lost A LOT, beautiful stories from beautiful people, food that just fed the desire to explore more, "proof of life" conversations, etc. I got a quote album on my phone, some souvenirs that'll probably disappear by next week, photos that I pray will last beyond a lifetime, and a heart full of impressions and stories that will last as long as I can remember them.

"To live would be an awfully great adventure" Yep, Peter Pan. I quite agree with you. I must add, though, that I have lived and have been a part of a great adventure. The cool part is...it's not ending! Even though I'm going back home and going back to school soon, the adventure continues. The need to listen continues. The need to travel and learn more continues.

Glorious life. Thank you for such a creation, Father...

No comments:

Post a Comment